Sunday, 18 November 2007

Unions locked out

This is new music for me. Petro Canada locks out its unionized workers, wow!

Trade unions are just another special interest group, and if we wanted to boil it down to the basics their aim is to obtain more by giving less and not risking. I.e. safe working conditions, high pay, high benefits, less work.

Locking out your potential troublemakers might be a good idea, but "management assuming operations" is just hilarious. If the managers are skilled to operate the plant and actually can make it work the productivity of the workers must have been close to zero. Many managers, however, are not skilled, and I wouldn't want a refinery go kaboom in my city because a white-collared guy tinkered with the wrong buttons and valves.

I just wonder why so often we see both unions and managers entrenched in their positions and refusing to yield an inch. Whatever goes on at PC, I'd like to see both managers and the union face the reality that none of them can get exactly what they want. And be open about it.

Compromise, my dears, compromise. In the meantime, thankfully, I don't own a car, so prices at the pump won't have my blood boiling if they rise.

No comments: