Whatever Ed Balls is up to in the UK, it is laughable. His latest stunt, launching an anti-homophobia guidance for schools drawn up by gay rights group Stonewall, disheartens me as I see relevance and common sense sink deeper in the British Government's priority list.
Set the record straight, homophobia is as evil as racism, it is a despicable form of discrimination and I share some of Stonewall's concerns, such as the use of the word "gay" as a negative attribute or to say that something is not up to par. However the group's advocacy of active homosexual lifestyle promotion in the school environment for children as young as FOUR is not something I will stand by. Kids four years old should be taught to read, write and count, especially when many secondary school leavers, statistics at hand, do not fare well in literacy and numeracy according to both international league tables and government targets. Now that's what I call below par.
Stonewall misses the point. Kids should be taught respect for others. It all begins with respect and the ability to see beyond the apparent differences that might pull us apart. The befuddlement over two mums, two dads or a gay character in a book are not tackled by the teacher rambling on about how good that is or, let alone, discuss feelings and TEACHERS" PERSONAL LIVES.
Schools are not places for teachers to discuss their personal lives with their pupils. When did that become accepted as the norm?
Ed Balls, as the whole secondary education system in Britain, has lost its focus. I cannot help, I have to quote Maggie in 1986, whose message rings as loudly and clearly as it did then:
"Education of all levels (teachers, training colleges, administrators) has been infiltrated by a permissive philosophy of self-expression, and we are now reaping the consequences that for some children have been disastrous".
The best education against discrimination and bullying is respect. Teachers answering "So what?" when pupils ask about why a character in a book is gay, placing them before the hollowness of homophobic arguments, allowing pupils to realize themselves how discrimination is unjustified and how differences in aspects as sexual orientation do not matter in the way we relate to other people, teachers, parents, peers and fictional characters.
Just yesterday I was telling a very good friend why I wanted to move away from the UK. I would like to add one point: the UK system currently makes one loathe oneself for not being distinguishable into a minority. A system is in place whereby the social fabric, built upon the common aims and values of a nation is being ripped apart by this focus on individual narcissism, a hedonism that thrives on differences and divisions, and a Government that aims to regress human reasoning back to the fear of punishment rather than the benefit of cooperation and respect.
Punishment and making people hate themselves achieves only social instability. Less and less emphasis is placed on stimuli for cooperative behavior and respect. The whole notion of respect is being degraded from a high moral value to an attitude that avoids you being punished. This does nothing for the cause of integration and equality.
What supreme folly!
No comments:
Post a Comment