A few days ago two very polite, smart and argumentative grad students wanted to unionize me through a card-check. As research associates and the like do not have union representation they are, allegedly, well underpaid compared to other universities. Forming a collective bargaining unit is, therefore, obviously in our interests.
Well, not really.
If grad students doing research go on strike our next semestral review will simply conclude we haven't made any progress. We'd be expelled from McGill in no time following that.
When a union is formed, everyone will have to join upon being admitted as a grad researcher. I will not sign off someone else's freedom to choose.
Whether you are a member or resign from the union, you still have to pay the dues. Apparently because even without voting in a union ballot, you still enjoy the union's services (the eventual pay raise). I will not steal my colleagues' future earnings.
Card-check is a vile system that presents employers with a fait accompli and leaves ordinary workers vulnerable to abuse, bullying and harm by not-so-scrupulous union thugs. The sooner it is ruled illegal the world over the better. I, for one, will not participate in a system designed with good intentions and used to oppress and bully the innocent.
Gains from union action are illusory. TA's striked and got a pay raise. The following semester a lot of $2000 TA-ships were split into two separate $1000 ones. Over the following two semesters I still believe AGSEM cost me $2000. I never forgive money debts I did not incur voluntarily.
Your card is more likely to be signed in other seas. I am about to be out. Unlike some Liberal leaders, I do not leave my colleagues farewell poison pills. Thanks for asking.
No comments:
Post a Comment