In ten minutes Maxime Bernier managed to say, at an event in the West Island, a lot more than most politicians say in an hour of pompous waffling.
His speech to an event organized by the Lac-St-Louis and Pierrefonds-Dollard conservative associations, the former Minister addressed the need for Quebec and Canada to embrace greater tax and individual freedoms in order to unleash Canada's potential.
I have been thinking lately: how can a "Less federal government" slogan not appeal to Quebec?
3 comments:
I have wondered about that "less government" thought of yours with regard to Quebec for a long long time. Although I have spent several years in business and many of them dealing with Quebecois I do not pretend to know or understand Quebecs needs within confederation (Actually more a federation than a confederation).
I keep thinking that Conservative style less federal goverment would appeal to Quebecers.
I only have one caveat with a federal "less Government" status when dealing with provinces. As in the European union where each state is independent, one can bring down the whole with profligate spending a la Greece. I am concerned that Quebec overspending however characterised will become a federal responsibility. Similarly the Ontario government is on the same track. The federal government in Canada needs to spell out fiscal provincial gross product figures in relation to spending. (Over simplified)
Bernier gives me tingles up my leg. OOPS, that has been used before. To be serious he could easily become the successor to Harper when the time comes. Harper is doing a good job as of now.
Less federal government is one thing.
What Quebec despearately needs is less provincial government.
Indeed it is cheering to hear such ideas in Quebec. He might have said a few more words in French though even if it was the West Island. He has a slight accent in English which reminds me of Dion, but a lot better. Is the rest of Canada ready for another leader from Quebec?
We need relief from municipal (Montreal) spending too!
Post a Comment