Tuesday, 28 November 2006

Veritas sucks

The motion was defeated, as was obvious from the very beginning. I appreciate debating society are very professional, but really why would anyone in their sane mind invite Veritas to speak in favour of such a delicate motion? Those guys are quite unpleasant, and I really didn't feel like speaking in favour of this motion at all. The only reason why I decided to was because the chairman allowed a last round of speeches and no-one wanted to speak in proposition so, well, I decided to give it a go.

Needless to say I cocked it up because the point I wanted to make got tangled up in my mind and I didn't sound persuasive at all. Hell, who would WANT to sound persuasive with Veritas next to you? They emanated a negative aura that would have scared even the "Exorcist" star.

On the contrary, the Prison service people were very down-to-earth and really knew how to address the audience. I am not a trade unionist and neither am I a fan of such institutions, but I never deny anyone my respect based on political colour. I had a pleasant conversation with one of them afterwards in the pub, and he was an extremely insightful person and despite his approaching 60 years of age he was energetic as some 20 year olds can only dream of being.

What this world needs is less Veritas and more down-to-earth people who can argue a point without trying to hit delicate nerves by mentioning "murderers" and "rapists" when talking crime. I went in desiring to vote in favour with all my heart and ended up abstaining. This is what bad speakers bring to the political debate.

Why can't people stop using rhetoric and playing on people's fears? I talk individual rights, society, State, freedom, but I don't go into trying to promote my ideology by playing on people's deepest uneasiness.

Veritas should spend more time in the pub and less time in politics.

No comments: