Monday, 25 February 2008

Our freedom is not secure

I am one to mind if a corrupt loser government shuts off its own people's access to information. I am also one to really mind if that meddling touches half the globe.

Pakistan's telecoms authority evidently wanted to pull an enormous joke on us, since their zeal outed YouTube not only within the confines of the piece of land cursed by the rule of that congregation of mediocrity and idiocy, but on half the planet.

This SNAFU is a very worrying sign of the vulnerability of the world's information highways to the arbitrary whim of any dictatorship. Today it's Pakistan, tomorrow it could be anyone from Uzbekistan to North Korea. I would appreciate our communication providers secured our access to what is rightfully ours, from funny videos to anything one (but not me) might define un-islamic or contrary to any sort of faith precept. Failing to safeguard our freedoms will bring nothing but misery in a very foreseeable future.

No comments: