Words failed me then, and words still fail me. Quebec's government-subsidized franco-fascists have taken a shot at one of my favourite Montreal drinking establishments, McKibbin's Irish pub, with the accusation that many of its signs aren't in French. This matter becomes laughable when this apparently includes vintage Guinness advertisements, and some outside menus as well.
As far as the menu goes the language street gang might have a point, but their actions make a laughing stock of the entire province, all with the Quebec administration's blessing and tax dollars. Furthermore, this does nothing to foster a positive attitude towards the French language in Quebec, portraying it instead as an imposition by an evil and insensitive overlord, which Charest's government isn't as far as I know.
Monsieur Charest, get rid of your zealot beating squads, stop the rampant ostracism against Anglos and institute some real positive incentive for speaking French. Even the silliest of brownie point systems would be better than the intimidation we have now.
I propose that all intelligent, hard-working and commonsense Montrealers of all races, religions and language show the OLFQ rottweilers some well-deserved middle finger, go to McKibbin's to imbibe in the liquid goodness of their pleasing and merrily intone "The Maple Leaf Forever". Both the good old-school version and the new bilingual one.
Ou' est ma Guinness?
2 comments:
One of my favourite Montreal pubs as well.
Perhaps they should make a stand. Everytime this kind of thing happens, the more news it gets, the more people realize what's really going on with free speech.
I propose patrons put a few bucks in a jar over these days to pay towards the $1500 fine. I can see the point with the menus, and with the service as well. But at the same time I'd demand the right to put up whatever decor I want.
Moreover, while French is pushed on us quite vehemently, me going to IKEA and hearing an employee tell me "je ne parle pas anglais" isn't bothering anyone. I haven't thanked my middle school French teacher enough at the time.
Post a Comment