Minimize expenses and maximize returns, also known as don't let debt eat your earnings. I was raised in a debt-averse family and society, where saving and parsimony weren't dirty words or concepts that made one "uncool". The whole concept of the credit crisis hits me as something both rational and yet astonishingly idiotic.
So reading the common sense in the National Post fills me with admiration for a newspaper that aims to educate the masses about the mathematics of personal finance. The bitter aftertaste comes when I realize there's a need for such an article, hence its printing.
My comprehension of the money world stops at the surface, for want of a financial education. My wallet, nevertheless, compels me to look at interest rates, taxes and opportunities to make sure my money doesn't burn on the inflation bonfire. If I can do a simple compound interest calculation, how hard can it be to know you're flogging a dead horse?
Taking control of your finances rarely goes beyond having a basic knowledge of Excel and where your money is. Do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment