Politics is the art of the possible, as Bismarck put it. We should therefore stop accusing each other of selling out, particularly regarding a potential deal with the NDP on the Budget. Reading the negative reactions to such a possibility, I get the impression many voters would rather our parties engage in Quixotic charges at windmills rather than work as our representatives.
This Conservative Government has three main duties: govern, be Conservative and survive. In a minority Parliament there's only so much envelope pushing we can do before said envelope bursts. I, for one, am glad principled and realistic politicians such as Harper and Layton have realised it.
Gilles Duceppe, being my MP, has conversely let me down. Rather than figure out two billion was a lot to ask for, he more than doubled the stakes. In the end, my province's interests will be served not by those who claim to represent it best, but by those who do not indulge in delusions.
In today's Commons, we can only be as Conservative as the most realistic opposition will let us. By not clamouring for an election, the Prime Minister chooses statesmanship over mere politics. As Canadians of all political colours, we should be thankful for such a leader, and trust him with a majority next time he seeks our confidence.
1 comment:
I think Harper's playing the long game, and I'm happy enough with his leadership.
Individual policies haven't been great, but you'll see a general move to the right in Canadian political discourse, and I've got to think that he has had a lot to do with it.
Post a Comment