Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Oh, pleeeeease!

Canadian Centre for Policy Obviousness: tax cuts impact quality of life. Duh!

The research lauds public spending, income redistribution and big government. Most of the commenters embrace the cause of the righteous "poor" against the greedy "rich". I can just see the massive gov't-o-gasm sweeping the left-minded in the nation.

I cry "crock!". Public education, public healthcare, public infrastructure building and merit goods are welcome in my books, as long as they are properly administered and I get value for money. Hiring five managers for every medical staff in the national health system will impact my quality of life negatively while increasing taxes. A tax cut that will force the firing of 90% of managing positions will increase my quality of life because I will have more money and a more streamlined health service.

I want public services of a value equivalent to my tax. Cutting taxes isn't about taking and giving, it's about making public services more efficient. Do we need ten managers for a library? Obviously no, and firing them to save money because of a tax cut isn't going to make my life any worse.

Assuming economics is a zero-sum game is childish. But then, tax advocates are just that: children who cry "Mommy", and mama is in Ottawa.

1 comment:

Dave Hodson said...

I want public services of a value equivalent to my tax.Actually, I want public services of a value greater to my tax, otherwise, there's no value to me in having it provided through my tax dollars instead of me purchasing the services I need. If there's no way to achieve efficiencies for a specific service through a public system, then there should not be a public system. Unfortunately, this is too often the sad reality.