I hardly followed the Mulroney CPC membership story, mainly because it's irrelevant. No really, it is as important an issue for Canada as what I had for breakfast. If Harper's team leaked that in order to show distancing between the current and former PMs, it was monumentally stupid.
Of all the things to leak, it would have been the most irrelevant. Among the media flotsam this is the one piece of debris one is best advised to see float past. How hard can it be?
Naturally, a lapsed membership from your own party's former leader is a clear expression of discontent. The correct way to handle it would have been a quiet phone call, an exchange of opinions and a ready reply for the media when the story eventually broke. I doubt Mulroney is upset because his party won't stand rock-solid behind him and do everything to avoid him facing an inquiry. I would, however, be upset myself were I treated by my former supporters as Mulroney has been.
With the touch, class and subtlety of a sledgehammer Harper ordered ties cut with Mulroney. Then the party refused to say whether Mulroney was a member or not. Now, with party squabbles and cover-up attempts in the open, some expect Harper to put some stick about and make some disagreeing heads roll. If I got that right, this is madness.
Harper should have advised his own, in the interest of fairness, to avoid making strong statements either supporting or condemning Mulroney, hinting that the inquiry wouldn't be put pressure on in any way and Mulroney would have to prove his innocence. That would've shown distancing without excommunication. Then, when news of the membership broke out, Harper should have revealed Mulroney's membership status, called up the former PM and, worst come to worst, admit to the disagreements and brush off further questions with some witticism.
Today the Prime Minister should be furious at the leaks (obviously), admit that the matter has gone too far, say whether Mulroney's membership is still valid, recognize his cock-up and tell the press he had a phone conversation with Mulroney where they overcame disagreements and got back on good terms. He's obviously done that, hasn't he?
Arguments happen and they are not solved by denial and hatchet. For Christ's sake!
No comments:
Post a Comment